Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Being practical - at home

How many of you have heard the story of the thirsty crow ..? How many of you have tried it? Dropping pebbles into water to see it rise.

We have been reading a lot of stories thanks to Sonlight Curriculum and it is awesome. But once in the while I see the look of daze in Isaacs eyes. I really want to be practical ... hands on ...

A month or so ago we read the thirsty crow story and Isaac was more interested in his Lego set . (I know Lego is really good and they develop spatial skill ... blah blah blah ... but I am starting to get annoyed with Isaac's obsession on always having a few blocks in his hand)

So I tried to get him involved by his favorite method. Talking about the animal in the story. That is the best way to get Isaac involved - Animals. If we watch a movie and you ask him who his favorite character is ... its normally the animal seen most. He doesnt want to be 'Hiccup' in 'How to train a Dragon?' but  rather 'Toothless'. He doesnt care much about Kristoff in 'Frozen' but would rather be Sven (or simply as he puts it - the reindeer is his favorite character!)



But even with the talk of crows and ravens, I could not get him to really look interested. Finally I got up and said 'Isaac come ... we are going to try something' I found a small transparent plastic bottle (the one you get Johnson's ear buds in) and filled it with water and tried to recreate the thirsty crow story.
It took me three tries to get it right. First I put too little water. So the water just coated the pebbles and nothing happened. Second time I got enough water but I put in really big pebbles! As a result the water came up a bit and then there were just big stones!

Third times a charm!! Isaac and I went fishing for small pebbles and we watched the water rise up.  Then I held my finger like a crow and dipped it in pretending to drink water. Isaac gave out a loud laugh and I dumped out the water and pebbles and said 'Now you try'.

After a few minutes of filling water ... dropping pebbles and dumping out the water again. Isaac exclaims 'That was fun Amma!'
Made my day!

As I was writing this blog - I also realized that I had taught Isaac the Archimedes principle  ... Eureka .. Eureka ! There are some stories that always last with you ... for me it was a naked man jumping out of a tub ... I hope for Isaac it will be a crow and pebbles!!


No comments:

Post a Comment