Monday, May 21, 2012

So hows life in India?



It has been just a little over 6 months since we moved to India. A lot of people have asked me ' How do you like India?' or 'How do you like Bangalore?' ....

Do I like it?
And how has it been?

Frankly telling you even though I was the instigator of the INDIA MOVEMENT, I was definitely a little afraid of how it would be in India. After all we had been out of India for 11 years.
Things have changed a lot! People we love a lot have passed away (My dad and Suresh's mom specifically) and new people have come into our lives. While we were making the decision to return, Suresh was concerned about the financial aspect of things and I was concerned about the emotional (and family politics) aspect of things.
So here is life in India for you from the Joel's

PART 1 - EMOTIONAL
Well we have not yet been drowned in family politics. I guess I can thank the Lord for placing us in Bangalore. Bangalore is kind of like the centroid of three places - Mumbai, Kochi and Chennai. Between Suresh and me our family is dispersed between these three places. We have a sprinkling of cousins and friends in Bangalore but not the kind that will tell you how or which car to drive :). That being said it is wonderful to be close to home.

Suresh has rubbed off on me also in the past 11 years and his nonchalant manners come very handy when there are 6 people telling you to feed your child and 8 people shoving food down your child's throat. So the theme is to nod your head, take what you like and leave the rest at the table and calmly walk and away .... and remember DO NOT LOOK BACK!


But enough of me ... Isaac and Ziva are having a blast. I could think of no other place where there would be 6 people telling me to feed Isaac and Ziva and 8 shoving food in Isaac's mouth as he walks past them. Invariably the food is something I DO  NOT approve of like chocolate at 12 noon .... Excuse me its lunch time! The funniest was my aunt giving Isaac a candy while we were waiting to go from a wedding to the reception ... her point ' He's hungry' Isaac quickly munches the candy down and the goes back to my aunt, puts his chin into her handbag and says 'He's hungry ... He wants more' (Yes Isaac occasionally talks about himself in third person). Some six candies later he was bouncing off the wall with Suresh trying to control him and maintaining his 'nonchalant' looks.
But with a series of Appacha's (Grandpa's), Ammachi's (Grandma's), uncles and aunts around, Isaac and Ziva are enjoying family and hugs and kisses.


We have been to Kerala two times in the past 6 months and once to Chennai. The Chennai trip was especially fun because it was Suresh's sister Zoraida's little girl Amy's first birthday. A very special day indeed and we are glad we were close enough to make the trip!



We also went for our first family vacation in a long time with my sister and family and it was a blast!

 
                                                 (He's not a tame lion you know!)



I haven't yet had the need to partake in any serious family decisions and for this again I am grateful.

Part 2 - FINANCIALLY -- FILTHY RICH
I am just kidding ... no we didn't turn millionaires when we moved to India! But it seems life in India is much more affordable for  the salaried!  In the US for quite some time we were a DINKS couple. Double Income No Kids. But it seemed very difficult to save anything significant. We were probably bad spenders and along the 11 years in US we have learnt a few lessons in debt/ spending/ budgeting.(Thanks Dave Ramsey:http://www.daveramsey.com/home/ ) Life was always comfortable but I would never really call it luxurious. We did take a few good vacations (London/ Paris/Germany/ Hawaii x2/ Mexico/ Canada/ Korea) ...  but all well planned/ well saved up vacations!



Now we are a SITKS : Single Income Two Kids. But financially life is good. No we dont own a house or two cars. In fact we are using Suresh's mom's old car which works perfectly well for our little family. We rent in a lovely quiet neighborhood far from the city with a huge park within the community. As I have told many a friends and cousins who ask  ... I wouldnt care if the house was a hut instead ... but the park is to die for! I wouldn't have made it the first couple months in Banglaore (when I didnt have help with child care) without the park and 3 hr play times twice day!



We are also avoiding a significant expenditure every year ... $5000 for an India trip!


Food in India is CHEAAAAAAP ... Well you can get really expensive food if you want but we are freaking out on some street junk still. The chaats,  dosas and Katti rolls are  yummy and a family of 4 can eat a stomachful (with no repercussion the next day) for under Rs. 200 ($4). My cousin introduced me to this wonderful place called Adayar where my two year old sits alone and downs an entire masala dosa with no adult help.

Masala Dosa - $1
Watching Isaac eat it - Priceless

Suresh and I were discussing our finances the other day and for those of you who do not know we are big Dave Ramsey fans! Well per Dave Ramsey we have completed most of our Baby steps - i.e No debt, have 6 months savings in our bank and about 1/2 way through saving for a house! We had only 2 of the baby steps covered in the US. (http://www.daveramsey.com/new/baby-steps/)
This being said I think it would be far besides me to not acknowledge the 'big Guy above' who has taken care of our every need so far. Thank you Jesus ... I know You will get me through the rest.



Part 3 - The Maid ... The Nanny ... The Cook ... The Dog walker and The Car cleaner
Life in India is not all that easy. Unlike the US you cannot leave vacuuming / sweeping for once a week! No it is a daily chore. Cooking is not as simple. Now  that you  are in India you get all the spices you need for your gravy .... you better use them all. Washing you car is a daily chore not once a month and time is precious so you rather not walk your dogs.
Even before we had a Gas stove in our house we had a maid who swept from top till bottom of your three level house and wiped down all the windows. Even before we bought a fridge or a microwave we had a cook. Suresh spent the first one week without a fridge and this lady (cook) was so phenomenal that she was able to cook for him exactly one meal! I.e. No leftovers! I remember I was in Bombay, still waiting for our stuff to arrive when Suresh called me and as we were chatting he mentioned now nice it was to have hot steaming FRESH food every night!



The maid now is our nanny -  a promotion she more than willingly accepted. She absolutely dotes on Ziva. Isaac is slowly warming up to her. He spent the initial few park visits howling, for me. Now he willingly says goodbye and is jabbering with her as she pushes the stroller to the park. Interestingly Isaac speaks no Tamil and our nanny speaks very little English. They understand each other perfectly. She is for us now Isaac and Ziva's Aunty who gets introduced to all our guest like she is part of the family.
I must say we are getting spoilt rotten. Isaac and Ziva's aunty does all chores in the house including putting in clothes for wash/ folding them and putting them into their respectful place in the wardrobes!  The other day I came back from grocery shopping and had about three big bags. I had to drop it at the kitchen floor and run off after Isaac to put him down for a nap. His nap became my nap and when I woke up two hours later all the bags were emptied and each item put in the correct place! There was this feeling of wow ... I must be on a vacation or something. The downside of this - I have gained 4 lbs in the last two months.

So ... I guess I can conclude Life in India is wonderful so far.

But .... there are annoying things too  and I will talk about it at another time. We also have a long TO DO list with respect to government paper work that we are afraid to approach. ... All that for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment