Sunday, September 30, 2012

Train up a child in the way he should go - and when he is older he will not depart

John 6:9 -“Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?”

This is the story of how Jesus fed 5000 people. But I recently heard a message ... actually part of a message where the preachers talked about this little boy who had the 5 loaves of bread and two pieces of fish. I am not sure how old this boy was  or whether he realized he would be part of an amazing miracle. The disciples brought him to Jesus under the assumption that he would be willing to give up his lunch!



I wonder who was the mother of this boy. I am sure if she had seen him give up his 5 loaves and 2 fish ... she would have been very proud. I wish she would take a class on parenting or give me some tips on how she raised her child to share so beautifully.

We live in the age  of  'Mine' - Isaac has said 'Mine' so often that if I had to give him spanking for it ... there would be time for nothing else. The art of hoarding our toys so no one else at the park plays with it has made this 'Mine' issue even worse. It takes it to the level  that Isaac not only says 'Mine' for his toys but also for toys that do not belong to him!

Being a mother there are those motherly instincts that arise in me when I want to protect my child when something is plucked from him. I have even made the mistake of interfering and helping Isaac out. I wish I had not ... but not doing so led to Isaac wailing. I do not want Isaac to be strong and pluck back - but I want to train him to just give up. After all we want him to realize that he is living for something much bigger than any of his material toys or possessions! I am sure when he knows and accepts the Lord Jesus he may automatically change his ways. But till then I am responsible for his heart. If I can just change his heart to realize  --- its not worth it.

The 'Mine' and plucking has reached such great heights that now brother and sister i.e. Isaac and Ziva are becoming pretty stubborn about giving up what they hold in their hands. Invariably Isaac wants what Ziva has and vice versa. Maybe I can just teach them the exchange offer.
 
Any other parents have any training suggestion - I would love to hear it.


No comments:

Post a Comment