Friday, April 19, 2013

A bike ride



I have started going for bike rides again. Bike=bicycle. I had stopped in the middle due to winter and cold winds causing colds and headaches. But clearly summer is here and the cycle needs to be ridden and hopefully weight will be lost :).
I prefer riding the bike outside the community gate since if I take a round near the park, both my kids will climb on the bike seats fitted on, giving a feel and look of an auto-rickshaw.
My biggest problem with riding the outside the community is other drivers. Other truck/tempo/car/motorbike/bicycle driver/riders. Truck and tempo driver find it very interesting to push me off the road, car drivers don't think it necessary to make a little space for the bicyclist by driving on their side on the road and motorbike and other bicyclist border line on annoying me with stares and wild eye gaping.
Now you may say 'Why don't you ride off the road?' I used to.  But it seems like they are planning to extend the road and in the 'planning' stage, they have decided to fill the side of the roads with concrete pebbles that form for the pebble bumpy rides.

While I can handle truck and tempo riders by getting off the road and giving them the benefit that they are not educated hence not much should be really expected from them, I am really annoyed with guys in fashionable cars who don't have the simple courtesy to keep to their side of the road. Among the things I want to do is flag them down and ask them which school they went to - obviously one that did not teach them road safety or road manners.
I detest even more the motorbike and other bicyclist who come really close to overtake. Come on people we are in the same category show your fellow cyclist a little respect. To top it, I occasionally get a whistle or a cat call. I normally just let in pass. But in my head I have been preparing several statements in hindi and Tamil like
Ghar mein maa, behein nahi hai kya? (Dont you have a mother or sister at home?)
Veethil akka amma illa?
I am even thinking of learning these statements in Kannada and Telugu which forms a majority of people in the neighborhood.

Today I was riding the bike. I reached the main road road and turned around around to head home. A car comes really close and honks. I move a little to my side but not off the road. The car continues to honk and follows me. I am thinking in my head. 'Hi move on buddy'
More honking and my anger has suddenly turned into a smile .... because I recognize the honk. I slow down and let the car come by my side. The driver rolls his window down.
Me: Ghar mein biwi nahi hai kya? (Don't you have a wife at home)

A very amused Suresh .... bursts into laughter ... more an amused giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment