Sunday, February 2, 2014

Is it worth it? A visit to Kathalaya - Part 1

When I saw the fees of the Intensive course at Kathalaya I thought ... Oh boy - this better be worth it!

Why do we always want to do something only if it is completely worth it. Why do we judge 'worth it' before have done something. Why does 'worth it' have to do with instant gratification.
The evening I finished the course, I met a friend and explained the entire three day course to her and the first words for her too were 'Was it worth is?'
I could not explain at that point ... but somewhere deep down ... I knew it was worth it.


My Kathalaya story --
I had been wanting to go to Kathalaya for a very long time. Ever since I wrote stories for a guy called 'Bob Shirk' on oDesk. Ever since he told me how great my stories were and that my son was lucky to hear them.
This a was job gig I was going online before I got my current job. I would get random topics and I had to write about 500 words at a 4-5th grader level. This job was super fun especially since once in a while I would get an assignment of a 'wild card'. A wild card was sounded this way 'a story of an elf who has to make a toy for a child with a name the elf has never heard of' 
These to me were the most fun. I had to make up a story. I initially thought they sucked till my employer came back with these comments

Comment: I loved your elf story. I'm kind of like Chris. I have seen it all, but this story made me laugh. I think the client will love it.
Comment 2: Another outstanding job! I think the client is going to be very happy!

So I was good at making up stuff. But then after one particular story he said - Your kids must be really lucky to hear such wonderful stories.

I realised my son was not lucky because I only knew how to 'READ' stories to him I never really told him a story  ... a story from me.
It was also around that time that I wrote about Aesop... it seemed coincidental that I should have to write about the most famous storyteller.  I 'Googled' storytelling and realized what a big thing it was and in all the google's I came across Kathalaya. I believe Kathalaya is one of its kind in the whole world. Its so famous that in my class there was a lady from Kolkata and a Singporean lady (currently residing in Delhi).
Even though all of the above and my desire to go to Kathalaya and take a story telling course happened around July last year, I was not able to make it till two weeks ago.
A three day course at Kathalaya where I expected to learn everything about storytelling.  I was in for a surprise. I don't think I learned everything about story telling, but I learned a lot about me!

Part 2 ... coming up

No comments:

Post a Comment