Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I spy!

You know how you have these moments in parenthood that you feel so proud that either your head will explode or your chest feels like its going through a heart attack! Well I had one such moment this morning. Well it wasn't head exploding or heart attacking but it was very special.

I have been teaching Isaac this game of 'I spy'. This is a card game puzzle that comes in two pieces. One piece says 'I spy a horse and a choo choo train' and you have the find the matching card. The matching card normally has a lot of a object on it all cluttered together with no theme! There are about 12 such sets. It is for the age group of 3-6. I have shown Isaac this puzzle bit a couple of times and he never seem interested. He always got bored and walked away to something else.



This morning I ran through some phonics and numbers with Isaac and was trying to get him to sit down and write lines. He, however wanted to play with his trains. I decided to move on to some cleaning and started rearranging some boxes. He came to me about 5 minutes later and asked me to open the 'I spy' box. I opened and continued with my cleaning. 5 minutes later Isaac came to me with two sets of card joined. 'See amma ... see'. I thought he had just shoved random pieces together so I nodded. 'See amma the horse is on this card and on the other one'. I stopped ... that was how I taught him to put the sets together. I looked over and he had put two set together correct. I was super proud but I thought maybe beginners luck. So I went over the the other set and told Isaac 'Can you show me more Isaac?'. In a matter of a few minutes he had put all 12 set together all by himselves.  I just wanted to hug and squeeze him ... not because he had completed the 'I spy' game but because he had actually listened to all my instructions.  I guess perseverance does pay!

Next step ... getting Isaac to derive e=mc2       ;)
One super proud mom ... gloating! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment