Friday, November 30, 2012

Standing in line ... holding a seat

Ok ... So I am going to take a punch at it again... Child raising and basic etiquette in public places.

I am at A1 .... the most annoying super market in our 5 km radius. ... Oh wait ... it is the only super market in our 5 km radius. The only reason for going was  - my cook insisted on making Chicken biryani. I am still paranoid about the local slaughter houses and the wariness of the impending or passing Bird flu.

So I decided to visit this disorganized place called A1 Super market. I got my chicken and got a bit side tracked by the cold storage with ice cream bars in it. I thought I would pick up a couple for Isaac and Ziva. The cold storage's in India (Well some of them) are top loading. So I slid the door open and put my hand in to dig for some ice cream. This girl of 10/11 years comes along and decides her time is too precious and pushes open the other side of of the same cold storage. I pull out my hand right in time to not get it jammed. 'hiiiiiiiiiiii!' Exasperation on my face. Luckily her father came  to .... MY rescue. Yes I was shocked mostly we see parents who want the very best for their children letting go when it comes to things such as these i.e. standing first in line ... getting your way not matter what.

Father : 'Let aunty take her ice cream first'. Girl looks at me sulkily. I rummage a little bit more and don't find what I want.
Me: 'Thank you - I am done'
Girl still sulky stares at me!
I go over and pick a few more veggies and come to the billing counter. Almost as if there was 'fire emergency' this same Girl scoots past me and pushes her goods in front of the line. There is one more person who is ahead. For some reason she thinks it's OK to push her goods onto the billing table. Again her dad comes to the rescue and tries to call her to the back where he is standing. I really do not know what kind of hurry she was in but she shook her head indicating she was not planning to budge from there. Had my good friend Becky Kurikeshu been there this girl may have got a good 'Whooping'
Isaac's next memory verse is going to be ..
Mathew 20:16 : The last shall be first and the first shall be last.
Someone mentioned that the difference between homeschooled children and those that went to school was that those that went to school learned to stand in a line! I wonder!!!  I guess the order of the line just depends on their mood!

This second one: I am guilty of too ... holding a seat
We are at this famous eatery chain called Adayar .. where you have to sit next to absolute strangers or stand and eat. You get the best Masala Dosa there. We decided to visit last Saturday and as we walked in at lunch time it was rather crowded. I finally stood next to one chair where there was a family of 3. the fourth chair was empty and the fifth chair had some bags on it. I moved Isaac closer and said ' May I'. The mom in the family immediately pounced on the chair that had the bags
'Not this one ... only that one' Pointing at the empty chair.
Sure lady ... its not like I asked you to write me in your will or something. The finished off their meal in time and ours arrived. I was very thankful since we had 5 chairs to ourselves. I was kind of hoping that Ziva would sit on her own. Even though I was pretty sure that was way out there. I held on to four seat and let a lady sit with us. Someone came to take one of the chair's (Ziva's) and I quickly pounced on it saying ' My husband is coming'

Rohini George pleads guilty of 'SEAT HOGGING"

No comments:

Post a Comment