Saturday, January 5, 2013

Uneven

I used to fall a lot. I have marks all over my knees and my shin of bruises received as a result of falls. No not as a kid but as a young adult. I remember my maximum falls being between the age of 16 and 22. I remember falling a lot at the railway station. I remember getting yelled at a lot, especially by my mother, for not watching while I was walking.

Last week as we went to the KR puram railway station to catch the train to Kerala, I almost missed a step again. I was careful to hold the side railings especially since I had Ziva in the Baby Bjorn and Isaac holding my other hand (that would normally have been used to break my fall). I walked a few feet ahead and glanced over to Suresh dragging the suitcases.
'Whats with these steps?'
Suresh - nonchalantly 'They are uneven!'
And then suddenly the years of falling on my head, face, knees, shin and butt all made complete sense 'UNEVEN Steps'

Today I went to the tailor to pick up some altering and as I climbed up the steps I tripped again. I looked at the steps and wondering which fool was involved in building these steps. I wondered if I and ever other person who tripped or almost tripped on these steps could curse the builder maybe by some miraculous format, sense could be knocked into their brains to do a better job with these steps.

Last week we spent a night at my mother's sisters house. They have recently renovated the house and the staircase going upstairs are beautiful. Smooth with a slow slope upward and EVENLY spaced steps. I almost wanted to bend down and kiss them

1 comment: