Friday, March 1, 2013

Faux pas

I have had my own sets of 'faux pas' ... i.e. social blunders. I have often called out the wrong things or put my really big foot in my really small mouth. But usually, I realize and get very embarrassed and swear never to speak in public again.

Here, back in India, after 10 years of being in a country that has a low tolerance for 'faux pas', I have realized that it is better to keep silent and be considered a fool than to open ones mouth and prove it!

Below are a few crazy conversations I have had that have made my jaw drop. The funny part is the person on the other end had no idea that they had put their foot in their mouth!

The first one happened as I was helping my kids play in the park. There was a lot of howling and screaming and a certain mom came over to give her condolence about the chaos in my vicinity. I smiled and accepted the empathy.
The next question was 'How old is your son'
Me: '2 years'
Q: 'How old is your daughter?'
Me:'2 months?'
Faux Pas:' Wow not much difference huh!'
Me in my head 'You think!'
Faux pas adder: 'My two kids are well apart!
I wasn't sure whether I should laugh or cry!

Another one
We are currently renting. And since we moved to India with 249 boxes and came here and got some closets built we trying desperately not to buy any furniture/stuff for the house. Just because the number of boxes with the next move will increase again! That being said we also have a few choices. No TV in the living room. Well the basement has plenty of space and the TV down there reduces the amount of time I spend in front of it. We had a few guests a few months back who walked in and among the first things that slipped out was a faux pas
Faux pas: 'What happened your living room looks really empty?'
Yikes - how about  saying 'Spacious living room!' instead


and yet another
Yet again in the company of another mother and here is how the conversation goes
Other mom: So are you working
Me (smiling at my two kids): No - this (pointing at the kids) is full time work
Other mom: Oh! Why do you have a full time servant then?
Me: ............. loss of words!
I am not certain whether I should that said  'I am extremely lazy' or 'because I can afford it!

Well both would have been rude! As is this post --- but just me venting!



No comments:

Post a Comment