Thursday, June 6, 2013

The importance of Craft in a pre-schoolers life!

About the beginning of March I had started annoying Suresh. 'We need to get Isaac into some activities!'
We had decided he needed to be exposed to music, art and athletics. He could then chose what he liked and pursue it to the fullest. With the decision set in on homeschooling Isaac, bringing these activities to him was an issue. I needed a good teacher.
We finally got Isaac into the skating class in the community. He fell on his butt several hundred times. He also did not survive the one hour class. About 45 mins in he would want to go home. But we could see him enjoying it. In May the skating teacher had his own college exams and took a break. I started getting all hissy again 'We need activities for Isaac'
I was determined to get him to start Art class somewhere. Mainly because I am inspired by sister's kids who take drawing class. Artsy Craftsy came at the right time as a blessing!
When I went I had it in my head that it would be all painting. I did not realize how much craft was going to be done.
Why is craft important?
Isaac is very good with the paint brush. Very good for his age that is. He does decent cut and paste pictures. He can write Captial Alphabets except an occasional 'S' being too difficult. I thought - my son -- great chap --- excellent fine motor skills. I was ready to move on.
We always think our kids are the best, the smartest, they know everything ... blah ... blah ...There is nothing wrong with thinking that. Believe me if we dont think that no one else will. We are the first phase of encouragement our children will get.




But the day I saw him turn wool round and round a plastic 'dabba' at Artsy Craftsy I realized there was so much more to fine motor skills! Every Craft project brought in a new challenge. Whether it was sticking foam on a coaster, molding the shapes for a shape mobile or sticking small squares to make a mosaic bird! But the biggest challenge was perseverance. Especially at the age of 3.5 its very easy to give up. Craft teaches you to persevere.





After rolling the wool a few times in one direction and then rolling it in the opposite direction (which essentially undid the wool on the plastic box) Isaac started to whine 'Amma you help me'. I guiltily helped him. In my head I kept telling myself not to help and played devil advocates with 'Oh he's only 3.5!'.
The last two days at Summer camp, Kanchan sat with the young kids and I helped out with the older kids. I am so glad! Half way through one session, I could hear Isaac's distinct whining. Kanchan prompted 'Isaac finish your card' ... Isaac 'No ... you help me' ... Kanchan 'No you do it by yourself ... I know you can'
I had my back towards them ... but I smiled... I was so tempted to look at what Isaac was doing. At the end of  craft, I asked Kanchan how much Isaac did on his own 'Well most of it ... he needed help in some parts'
 



Craft helps your fine motor skills. I was helping tie knots at summer camp and realized how much of an effort it was for kids. I felt Isaac more nimble at the end of three weeks.  Of course I need to keep finding him something to continue his skills and challenge him.

Craft helps build perseverance. All projects at summer camp had to be completed. Not one kid left with a half finished project. Every day someone needed help to finish up. But no one was left alone. It was also a different child every day! It made me realize how different kids were. There was also a sense of exhilaration at the end of art and craft session.
Exhilaration and exhaustion and they were all famished .... Perfect time for a snack to treat those nimble hard-working fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment