Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Sugar's story - My first attempt at writing my own story


As part of my Kathalaya training course last month, we were asked to write and enact our own stories. Here is what I wrote and boy was I a drama queen when I enacted it!
My props were : Dupattas of various colors (White for sugar, brown and black for chocolate and various other colors for lollipop), Sugar , Chocolate (milk and bitter) and  lollipops :)

 

-----------------------------------------------

How the Lollipop got its shape!
Once upon a time a long long ago there lived a lovely lady called Sugar. She was always dressed in white and her skin dazzled in the sun. She looked like the snow. She was a very kind and sweet lady. Wherever she went she would spread joy and happiness. People loved talking to her,. Children loved playing with her. But Sugar had one problem.

Chocolate!

Chocolate was Sugar's twin sister. Chocolate and sugar were alike in a lot of ways. Chocolate also was a very nice lady and she was also kind and people also loved her. But every time Sugar was around Chocolate became bitter. She was acutally a beautiful brown color but every time she saw Sugar she would turn black in color. She was also never kind to Sugar.

One day Sugar and Chocolate were invited to a party. Now Chocolate was standing talking to a few people and playing with a few children when Sugar arrived. And a few children ran to Sugar to play with her. Chocolate was so mad. Even though there were people talking to her she felt like everyone was running and talking to Sugar. So she decided she would go say a few things to Sugar. 
 
'Well well Sister , if it isnt you again. Same boring you.'
Sugar just smiled. ' Look at me I am dark brown today, I was light brown yesterday. Tomororw I may be another color. But you . White white white! So boring. People taste you and you are gone. You are so small. If there is very little left of you they just dust you off their hands. But me ... people love me! Even if there is very little left of me on their hands they will lick me off. They cannot just dust me off! I can take so many different shapes. Hearts and triangles and balloons...just by squishing me in their hands. But you if we try to melt you either you will become liquid ... or you will become hard!

Sugar started to cry and ran away. She was very sad. Sugar had a favorite place... It was a place she could only look at and never go to. That was the fire place. But today she was so sad that she ran and sat next to her favorite place. And she was so sad that she did not realized that she was melting and slowly slipping away around tha place. She even turned a little brown and sticky! When she stopped crying she was all over the place... small puddles of Sugar everywhere.

Now this is where I come in. Who am I ... yes yes .. I am the storyteller.... but I am also the confectioner. 

I work with both Sugar and Chocolate. I love both Sugar and Chocolate. I think they are both unique and beautiful. I decided that Sugar need a little bucking up. Strengthening .. toughening up. I had seen all that Chocolate had done. So I walked up to Sugar. Picking up all her pieces.

'See Sugar. You may be sticky but when you are sticking its so easy to work with you. And because you are so small .. it is also quick to work with you. You melt like that (snap finger) and are so ready then to be shaped into anything.'

'Anything! 'Sugar said....
Yes lets see ... we can make you into a sqaure or a rectangle ... but I think the best shape for you would be a round circle ... because then it would mean you have a center.... one point that is just the sweetest.
And so what if you are white. I can put so many colors on you. Pink and blues and greens and reds... and If you are int a fun mood... alll colors together... And the best of all... when people taste you they will go ... pop... pop... And if I put you on this stick ... no one will dust you off their hands.! Sugar said ' Why a stick?'. Because then people will keep licking and licking till they finish you and then they will keep licking the stick and chewing it .. thinking about you.


And from that day onwards ... Sugar loved being popped .. .. lollipoped!

And Chocolate ... I made her such that every time she was without Sugar ... she would turn bitter!


No comments:

Post a Comment