Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Cutting tomatoes

I AM TRANSFERRING MY FACEBOOK NOTES TO MY BLOG .... PLEASE FORGIVE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY READ!
FROM --- DECEMBER 2 2010
 
There is something I admire in three men - My dad, My husband and my father -in law -- they can cook. And not just any cooking - good cooking. Good enough to feed others.
There are 4 reasons why I believe men turn out to be good cooks.
1. they like to cook
2. they are pulled far away from mama's apron and have to learn to cook
3. their mama's teach them to cook and
4. their wives let them cook

My father's mutton curry and his beef pickle are famous and delicious! My friends parents would call home for recipes.
My father -in- law was known for his chicken curry and seafood dishes. I have heard him giving Suresh recipes of how to increase the taste of fish curry - 'Add shallots kanna'
And Suresh! Boy can he cook. Not bragging - but the man is willing to try any cuisine - as long as there is a lot of butter and spice involved. Suresh has two theories
a. The taste of the food is directly proportional to the amount of butter!
b. The taste of the food is directly proportional to the amount of spice!
He had a friend once tease him that there was a bucket of chilly powder above our stove with a rope attached. When Suresh starts to cook - he just yanks on the rope and thats the amount of spice the recipe calls for!
Suresh's interest in cooking comes from point (1) & (3) above. He apparently spent many a dinner time in the kitchen chatting with mom and sister and watching them cook and learning from them


Cutting

I was watching Rachel Ray on TV the other day and she mentioned how kids could help out in the kitchen from a young age using a plastic knife. I decided immediately to experiment on Isaac - Results - he enjoyed cutting tomatoes. They weren't in the best shape and half  was eaten as well.
Among the things I hope Isaac gets from Suresh - I hope he gets
1. His love for his mama
2. His love for cooking


Eating

No comments:

Post a Comment