Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A niece is born to us today

I AM TRANSFERRING MY FACEBOOK NOTES TO MY BLOG .... PLEASE FORGIVE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY READ!
FROM --- AUGUST 6 2010

So today as I see the joyous correspondences all over the Arthungal walls and profiles -- I cannot help nostalgia.
I am thinking about the day my older sister had a baby girl. Indeed what a wonderful day. I have often thought of sending Grace a letter of the details of the day she was born. I can still remember some details vividly.

Like when I drove over to the hospital to deliver hot water in the flask. Yea my sister has this weird thing about hot water. She likes it a lot!! At the hospital I was met by my teary eyed mom - I guess its hard to watch your first born endure labor pain. Amma has become pretty strong after 3 grandchildren. She was very calm as her fourth grandchild came into the world.

About noon we got kicked out of the hospital (India Hospital rules) by what I can only call an ' evil ayah'. We begged her saying the baby will be here any minute. NO - rules are rules. I sat on the steps outside the hospital refusing to go home - telling my father lets wait right here. He was trying to convince me that we should go home have lunch and come back when my aunt came running out screaming 'Mona had a girl!'. I quickly ran back up- dodging the 'e' ayah. Picked up the camera and ran to the door of the delivery room. Waiting.. Waiting.. . My brother in law emerges with a scrawny, uncleaned, red baby - covered with what I could only describe as yhewww stuff. 'Click a picture click a picture' he says. CLICK and the little one starts screaming because of the flash. 'Click another one click another one' he says. CLICK and a louder yell -- And she is here GRACE MARY MATHEW.

As we sat at home around the table for a very very late lunch - a crow began cawing. Old wives tale - crow cawing == A visitor is coming. My dad hushes the crow saying 'She's already here - you bring news too late!'.

No comments:

Post a Comment