Wednesday, July 4, 2012

How do we teach our children to acknowledge loss (grieve)?

I AM TRANSFERRING MY FACEBOOK NOTES TO MY BLOG .... PLEASE FORGIVE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY READ!
FROM --- AUGUST 11 2010

Can we teach them to grieve? Not just loss in the family but to sympathize with others. Can we teach them to sympathize?
This past week while we grieved as a family, the children of one family raised the bar on acknowledging the loss in our family. The Emaikwu's!
As we got ready to disperse to our Sunday school classes this past Sunday (8/1/10), Simon turned around and gave me a big hug. I wasn't sure what I had done to deserve the hug until I heard the words 'I'm sorry'. I looked over his shoulder and there in a line waiting to offer their sympathies were David, Nehemiah and Helen. Suresh and I have often commented on how wonderful these kids are and how we need to ask Br Titus and Sis Grace for advice on raising children.
I have not seen such a reaction from any other 'kids' in their teens. I stress on the words kids because Simon is probably twice my size -- as is David. I remember when I was that age, I was so awkward about how to offer my support that I ended making random jokes to make people laugh. Not the most appropriate order of things.

I would say two things go into getting kids to acknowledge loss and mourn with those that mourn. (1) Excellent upbringing and to that effect hats off to Bro. Titus and Sis. Grace and (2) Having the quality of sympathy to those that are less fortunate than you and to that effect - great job growing up Simon, David, Nehmiah and Helen (Mathew is on his way there and with kind siblings such as these he will have not any trouble)

No comments:

Post a Comment