Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Den's meeting

I AM TRANSFERRING MY FACEBOOK NOTES TO MY BLOG .... PLEASE FORGIVE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY READ!
FROM --- DECEMBER 9 2010

Last Tuesday I was called to speak at a Cubs scout meeting.

Topic:  Communicating with someone who cannot speak in English
My Qualification: I can speak more than one language (and translate into English)
Audience: 4th and 5th grader boys

I was actually nervous. Kids that age can ask and say the darnest things! (in Cosby's language). I agreed to do this as a favor for a colleague whose son is part of the scouts. I have admired Thomas' participation in his sons scout activities.
As I was driving to Fort Smallwood Elementary - I had several desires to call in sick. I am glad I did not because I had a blast.





When I walked in - they were all curious. Then they were all giggly, then they were all distracted, then they were all talkative, then they were all interested and finally when I walked out they were all quiet. I left the room with lots of hands still raised for questions. But alas we had run out of time.
Some excerpts from the meeting

1. Boy: What religion are you?
    Me: What religions do you know of?
    Boy: Well there are Christians, Buddists, The salvation army

2. Me: I am going to teach you three important phrases in Hindi. Can you tell me three important phrases in English?
    Boy1: Whats up?
    Boy2: Hot Dog
    [ I was going for please, sorry and thank you]

3. Me: (with a picture in my hand) The peacock is the national bird of India -- What is the national bird of the US?
    Boy: oooo - The Orioles
    [for those who do not know the Orioles are the Baseball team of Baltimore and also a bird]

4. Boy: How much is the dollar worth in Indian money
    Me: (shocked that a 10 year old thought about currency and glad that I had checked the conversion rate that day) $1 = 44 rupees

5. Boy: Why did you come to the US?
    Me: I wonder why every day!

6. Parent: When you first came here was there anything that gave you a culture shock?
    Me: Yes  purple colored hair
    Boy : Oh they probably colored it!
    Parent: You think?

7. This is probably my favorite one - because we Indians pride ourselves on knowing many Indian languages but few of us have ventured into other nation languages
    Boy: Do you know any other languages other than Indian languages
    Me: I learnt a little French in school
    Boy: So what is 'Hello' in Italian?
    Me: huh!

8. Boy: Did you find any word difficult in English
    Me: Wolleyball (Yes with a W)
    [Thomas had to explain this one to them]

9. Boy: How old are you
    Whole crowd -- booo
    Me: Why dont you guess?
    Parent: Be careful they have no concept of age!
    Boy1: 20
    Boy2: 40

Lets call it a night :)

Cant wait for Isaac too join the scouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment