Friday, May 24, 2013

Lesson 2: Artsy Craftsy : What do you do on a Vacation in Goa? Collect star fish!

You may think what kind of crazy lesson is that. Well if you want to me the crazy person who did collect star fish on her vacation in Goa ... Do go meet Artsy Craftsy's proprietor/CEO/teacher/Mam/Aunty - Kanchan Yadav.

When she pulled out a box of star fish during an activity of week 2, I thought she picked up from some craft store.
'No I picked it up in Goa from the beach. I processed it in xxxx solution. And then I dried it' Kanchan replied with a sparkle in her eyes and a smile on her face. I did not clearly hear the name of the solution she used because I was in a state of shock! Just kidding. I was too amazed by the star fish. It reminded me of the song 'Climb every mountain.... Ford every stream ... follow every rainbow ... till you find your dream'
It seems that Kanchan has sifted every grain of sand on the beaches of Goa till she found her 'star fish'.
Lesson 2: When you have a passion ... amazing things can happen.
I know I will be telling Isaac (and Ziva) about Kanchan's passion to collect star fish. I know I will be looking for something crazy to collect on my next vacation. I know I will not look for it in a shop. I know nature will carry lots of memories for me to take with me.

Shell Art
Week 2 started with a bang and lots of sugar.
First the bang! I had planned on leaving Isaac alone. I had him all prepped up. 'Isaac - no ones amma comes with them. I should not stay there ... its not nice '
He finally responded to one comment with a ' OK Amma - you dont help me at Summer camp OK'
I was all excited. I started dreaming about finishing my grocery shopping at the Namdhari's some 100 feet from the Summer camp. I walked in to a room full of kids and a few extra! Kanchan had this look on her face 'Please can you help me from Wednesday onwards with Art and Craft'
A family incident had taken our dance teacher out of town. So Kanchan was left alone to do Art, Craft and dance! I was a little confused and then very flattered. I had left  cell phone in the car and had to jog back to get it. I had 5 minutes thinking time. Yes of course I would do it. In all likelihood Isaac was not going to be happy at camp alone for more than 1 hour. So I would be back in the flat. My thought : I might as well learn something!


Biscuits and sugar - What fun time
The week began with non-heat cooking.  Non-heat cooking was done by Sharmi Komal from Neivedyam.  Lots of sugar and biscuits of all kinds. 

While the seniors had the patience to wait for a completed project, the juniors happily ate the biscuits before the icing was even put. 


                                                 Sugar coated biscuits


The Jelly beans  were a big hit and every  one was jittery at the end of one hour. A lot of fun!

 Chocolate spoons

And then it was the turn of the yummy chocolate spoons. Again so simple and so much fun. This time we managed to wrap the chocolate spoons and put it away before anyone got to eat them. After all you need something to take home from Summer camp. Isaac and Ziva enjoyed the chocolate spoons at tea time!

Tuesday was shape mobile day. Kanchan repeated the words shape mobile so many times that now Isaac will call it nothing but that - 'Where is the shape mobile Ziva?'

Shape mobile

We (Isaac and me) had to skip Wednesday for a conference in Hennur.

Chocolate signals

We are sad we missed the traffic signal - again with chocolate and some lovely chocolate hearts. Non-heat cooking seemed like a big hit on Wednesday


Chocolate hearts

Kanchan did a fabulous job of reiterating concepts with a puppet on Thursday for the junior kids. The puppet had a signal and a moving car. The kids were fascinated with the very real looking grey street and the bright yellow car ... Windows and all!

 Car puppets
The senior kids did a fabulous cherry blossom painting on plaster of paris. It was so pretty that I wanted to do one with them.


I was rewarded for my self-control. Kanchan gave me the sample she had drawn for the kids. It hangs proudly on the railings of my steps.
       
Cherry blossom - Kanchan gives credit to Mystic lady art

Friday was the day I was sure I had met the most crazy entrepreneur yet! It was shell art day. It was one common project for both the senior and junior kids. And boy they had a blast! There were so many pickings. Small tiny shells, large pretty one and then there were the pretty star fish! Hats of to Kanchan. Shell art hangs proudly on our fridge.

And just like that week 2 was over. I was exhausted! But I was very happy. Interestingly I yelled a lot less at the kids that week. I guess getting involved in something other than kid raising was good for me. It was also fun because I could do it with at least one of my kids. Next year Kanchan can expect three from the Joel- George household at Summer Camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment