Tuesday, May 14, 2013

An 'Artsy Craftsy' time of my life

When I was in school, we had art class. I dreaded the day we had art class. I did not like carrying my drawing book. I did not like my paint brushes and most of all I had no self esteem when it came to putting the paint on paper.
I remember always getting very low scores in art exams. I wonder why they killed the subject with exams. After all its so subjective. How do you grade it? I was very glad when I knew that after 8th standard I would no longer need to do the dreaded painting and drawing. My biggest fear was when the art teacher would walk past my table. I wanted to cover my work. I was way too conscious. I remember having to draw a pot once and she walked past me. She looked at my painting and said ...
'Don't you see how its dark on one side because of the sunlight coming from the other side?'
In my head ' No!'
Lesson: I wasn't very artsy!

                                        Guess what this is called. Isaac and amma at home making a Con....

Enter Suresh: I found a new love for art. I appreciated it more. Probably because of the passion with which he spoke about it. He seemed to think that art class should have been there all our life. 'Yikes'. But he made a good statement. If I had done art at a later stage in life I would have enjoyed it. Mainly because I would not care what anyone else thought about my paintings. I would do it to enjoy it.

                                                  Isaac and my rendition of 'Up,Up, Up'
Enter Isaac: I realized I would not be able to stay away from  the paint brushes. As I write this bit ... I am actually thinking ... I may never have really touched a brush since my drawing class... till when I got one for Isaac. No - its not because I didn't like it ... it because I was scared of what it could produce. But we (Isaac and me) finally ventured into lots of painting and drawing. I realized I wasn't so bad. I mean I could please a 2 or 3 year old. A month ago I discovered Isaac loved coloring... he enjoyed it and he could sit still for 1/2 hr with paints and brushes. He enjoyed coloring and he even used his magna-doodle to draw strange things. I realized it would be fun to get him introduced to an Art teacher.

The very hungry caterpillar - by Isaac


Enter Artsy Craftsy and the fantastic 'Kanchan Yadav': Since Isaac was not going to school this year, I wanted to try a summer camp. I wanted him to be able to take instruction from a person other than me or suresh. More importantly I wanted him to follow those instructions and be respectful of the person. I had hoped for something close by. But it did not work. I had heard about Artsy Craftsy from Mili (who lives in our community) and decided to try it.


                                          First day - painting a Tote bag - Isaac's work at Artsy Craftsy

Initially I was a little skeptical about the distance - Brigade Metropolis seemed far! more than 12 kms. But the fees were so reasonable that I decided to try it out! I am so glad I did! I have not been disappointed. Every day is fun. Every day is new. I do not know where Kanchan gets her ideas from. I am not sure how she thinks it up. But whats more important is the way she executes it! Phenomenal. She has two batches going on.

Mosaic hanging - Isaac's work at Artsy Craftsy


One a group of 8 kids between 6-12 years. Another group of 8 kids between 3-5 years. 16 very attention seeking kids.... and she manages to give her attention, opinion and correction equally. I have had to sit in summer camp for the last one week because Isaac is going through separation anxiety. There has not been a single moment of boredom. The first few days I took a book to read. But I found myself putting the book away to watch the kids at work with their hands and minds and creativity. I realized how art and craft could develop so many fine motor skills.

                                         Cover of drawing book -Leaf stamps by Isaac at Artsy Craftsy
                                       
We also had dance by Kreative Steps last week. I even found myself practicing one of the steps in front of the mirror. This week I really miss Deepa with her dance moves that make Bollywood music so much fun and not lewd!
We have been through one week of arts, crafts and dance and I enjoy it as much as the kids.
The highlight of the week is Isaac taking a bath and telling Suresh 'Appa I am going to summer camp O.K.'


                                         Chocolate spoons - non heat cooking by Isaac at Artsy Craftsy

I have so much more to say about Artsy Craftsy. But I think it deserves a separate blog. I also need permission from Kanchan to yap about all the activities!

Isaac's piece of work at non-heat cooking


So for now its time to craft my life away!

No comments:

Post a Comment