Friday, October 26, 2012

I'm a big boy now

I cannot believe he is 3 years old. It feels like yesterday ... we were waiting and hoping.


It seems like yesterday when I was lying on the IVF procedure table eagerly looking at the ultrasound screen and then we saw this tiny embryo roll into my uterus (for all of you who are embarrassed at this point ... well grow up). To us it was the most beautiful thing and the most hopeful!
As the embryo rolled in - Suresh said ... 'there it is!' When we see Isaac sleeping peacefully we still often think of him tumbling to find a safe abode within me
Time for a Birth Story. Three years late  --- But when I am old and frail I will present this to Isaac as a present and hope he finds it priceless.
He was supposed to arrive on October 10th and at my doctor's visit on October 9th, the midwife Jeanie Prins said 'Well anytime now'. We were so excited that we didnt consider we would be waiting for an entire week before the little guy arrived. I wanted Isaac to arrive on October 15th so he could be my dad's birthday partner!
Come October 15th . There seemed no action absolutely!  Isaac showed no signs of arriving. As part of the doctors commands - I was supposed to walk a lot. I, of course, by this point was feeling too big to walk around. So Suresh and my mother dragged me to the mall in the pretext of eating at the food court. I still remember what each of us ate. Suresh - five guys : Burger plus fries. Amma: a Subway sandwich with plenty of Jalapenos and Me: the lousiest Gyro ever!
We drove back home after walking the entire mall practically (Howard county mall) and trudged upstairs ... Suresh as usual prayed over me (and the baby) and I lay down on the bed. As usual I was uncomfortable and kept turning from side to side. At about midnight I made one turn and realized something was not right. Great I thought .. I have to pee again. I stood up and well a huge gush of something and I suddenly was afraid ... The time had come.
Suresh ran over to the room and called my mom saying ... its time! We were all so excited (and me a little scared and shaking all over)
We called the midwife practice and she asked 'Is this your first one' Yes ... 'Are you having contractions' No ...'Well just wait a little bit. Take a nap and come in the morning' ..What!!
Amma was pissed. She kept telling us to call the practice every 1/2 hr and kept insisting that we go to the hospital.
Finally at about 4 am we called and said we were too nervous to sit at home forget sleep so we were coming to the hospital. The midwife laughed and said 'Yes sometimes its easier to sleep on the hospital bed'
We reached the hospital and after all the paperwork go settled in the room. And then the waiting began again. The midwife came in and checked me and said well... lets just wait. I could tell from my mother's face that she wanted to tell the midwife how to do her job... or rather just do it quickly. All three of us had the same thought in our head. Just get this baby out soon ... we cannot wait to see him.
Many hours of waiting later ... another midwife Jeanie Prins came in 'So you want to have a baby today' with a big broad grin. It was good I was not yet in pain .. else I would have definitely given her a peace of my mind. I was too excited! Yes I nodded. 'Well I think we may have to induce you since it is almost 8 am!' Great what are you waiting for was my thought. 'But lets try a few more things try walking around for a bit'
A few laps around the corridors of the hospital ward and Isaac still showed no signs of coming out. Finally at 10 am they started the pitocin. I was sure excited because this meant baby would be here soon... soon. An hour of pitocin later and I was willing to take my excitement back! The pain was coming too quickly and I was unable to breathe through it. I had till this point decided not to take an epidural. But now I was begging for it! At 12 noon we disturbed one anesthesiologist from his lunch to come give me and epidural. He seemed a little grumpy but I didnt care! He assured me ... it will all be better in a few seconds ... hold still. Really ... why don't you try to hold still with your uterus contracting the way  mine is!
But he was right! Epidural worked like magic and within a few minutes I just wanted to sleep! The morning nurse came to me to say that her shift had gotten over and she was sad she wouldnt be around to watch the baby come. She also told me she was proud of me for trying to go natural! Trying !
She walked out and I was out like a light. Some 4 hours later the midwife came in to check on me and said ... 'Well looks like you are ready'  Really! About 20 minutes (3:59 pm) of pushing later ... out came 7 lbs 9 oz of Isaac. (Left me with third degree tears and 6 weeks of healing) All of it seemed worth it  just told Isaac in my hands. 7 years of waiting and hoping and he was here!

Suresh often watches Isaac eat peas and broccoli with passion and says 'He is not my son'. Oh we most definitely saw him all combined in a petri -dish!

Isaac now all of three has a great sense of humor and goes into these phases of laughter especially when he is playing with Ziva. The other night we decided to name one of the soft toys that Ziva got as a gift for her birthday. It was a hippo. So we named him 'Popo' ... I guess to Isaac it sounded like poopooo which is what he calls his big job. He kept laughing for a long long time into the night.

Quotes from Isaacland
Me showing him the astronaut Baumgartner's picture in the paper and explaining
Me: Isaac this uncle is an astronaut. He goes to the moon in a rocket.
Isaac perplexed!
Me: He goes to the moon and jumps around on the moon. He is called an astronaut. Like Appa is a scientist in GE ... this uncle is an astronaut
Isaac less perplexed.
Me: Isaac what does your appa do
Isaac: Scientist
Me: What does this uncle do
Isaac: Astronaut
Me: What does amma do
Isaac looks around .... few second later
Isaac: Amma plants the garden!
!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment