Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Signing with Ziva!

We have begun teaching Ziva 'signs' and unlike older brother she picked them up pretty quickly. Isaac did not relate his signs to words till about 14 months. However Ziva has now at 12 months starting using them to communicate with us. I guess she has a good teacher. No I am not bragging about myself because she is learning to sign from Isaac.

When I had started homeschooling a few months back, I came across this nice website that spoke about introducing signs to kids. The cirriculum on the website was more suited for 1-2 year olds but I thought it would be fun to go through some signs with Isaac. As we started revising some of the old signs like more, eat and milk, I noticed Ziva observing us very carefully. So we (Isaac and me) turned our focus to Ziva. I would teach Isaac some signs and when Ziva showed up he would in turn 'show off' his new sign. I think in a little while he too realised that she was trainable and kept repeating things to her.

Ziva now shows - more, milk, eat, cheese and all done.
This morning she learnt 'all done' and I gave her a hi-fi for it. She decided she had earned the olympics medal and went between Suresh and me hi-fi-ing us continuously!


Video of Ziva and Isaac signing

1 comment:

  1. my gals love to watch the patty shukla asl songs on youtube. they use some of the signs too! it's fun to see them learn. :)

    ReplyDelete