Friday, October 5, 2012

Namesake: Tai

I have had a lot of petname/ namesakes since I was a kid.

The most common one and the one that my family still uses on me is Kuttu. Kuttu means small -- I think I was a tiny / scrawny kid and so the name suited me perfectly. Suresh is not able to get into the habit of calling me 'Kuttu'. Probably because he never knew anyone calling me that for the first two years that we were friends or maybe because I was not tiny or scrawny when we met. Even after we were married he found the name 'Kuttu' rather weird. He kept saying -- 'Why did they name you Rohini if they wanted to call you Kuttu' - Good point ... I am not sure.




In college (i.e. 11th and 12th) I was often referred to as George. i.e. My last name. I had friend who would yell 'Hi George - over here' at the railway station and I would turn around and look knowing that the yell was intended for me. George also became 'Georgie -porgie' and other fun variations.

And then for a long time there was none. Till maybe about 2007 when I got my first job.

The first time I was called 'Dr. George' over the intercom - there was a certain sense of pride that I cannot describe. I almost felt that there was nothing else that could feel like that sense of pride. I quickly tried to land back on earth by insisting that people call me Rohini as opposed to Dr. George. Dr. George felt like a namesake .... it did not really feel like me  ... but someone else ...like 'Kuttu' just described my stature. Still on and off I got a call to be Dr. George!

Few months after I quit  my job and we moved to India, I got my latest petname. This one I think I love more dearly because of what it means and how I wish it will last on me forever. I was sitting on my rocking chair when the Cook called out. 'Tai - come eat before it gets cold'. I though she was saying 'Danny - come eat before it gets cold.' She repeated this two times and Suresh came to me and said ... 'Well why arent you eating?'
Me: 'huh'.
Suresh: 'She is talking to you'.
Me 'No she is talking to Danny'
Suresh:' Hahah. No she is saying 'Tai''
Me: 'Oh! What does Tai mean?'
Suresh: 'Mother'
Me:'Why is she calling me 'Mother''
Suresh: 'Its like saying breast feeding mother or young mother'
I am not certain if this was true. Suresh sometimes does make up weird stuff! But I liked the sound of it. I realized that I was holding Ziva and Isaac was running around. For all official purposes - I was 'Tai'. A new petname.
Once in a while she calls me Mam, which I absolutely hate since she is close to my mother's age. Tai is just fine!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment