Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The woes of a mother of a girl child

As the mother of a girl child ... I can already feel the pressures of my growing little girl.  Do not worry I am not going to talk about  'Dowry'. And yes Dowry is still a very active and unfortunate custom of our  South Indian community.

But what I want to talk about is 'Modesty'!
When I got to know I was having a girl some 27 months ago, I was like oh no! No please... I love my little girl! Even as I look at her now, while writing this blog, there is a love and adoration that can find no replacement! But having an older brother, the rules would different. Curfews, parties and friends would be under heavy surveillance! Unfortunately true!
Right now I am protective of both my boy and girl ... but my girl ... will always get extra protection as she grows up especially in this perverted world!
I was having a conversation with another mom as her daughter was playing a sport. The coach asked her daughter to change her T-shirt since the sport involved bending down. Boys would look. Why don't boys look away? That was what went through the mind of the mother. But Me --- I was grateful for a coach who had probably seen a daughter in this girl. Whether she needed it or not ... he planned to protect her. Whether the boys were good or not ... he was planning on making sure she was prepared for the bad one!


I am a lover of shorts and and other crazy clothes. I love my sleeveless tops and other things that keep me cool during the summer. How am I going to teach my daughter modesty? I never listened to my mother or father when they told me not to wear a particular dress. Yet here I am 25 odd years later... already worrying about my 23 month old little doll. How will I tell her that being rebellious about certain things may not work for her benefit? How will I tell her that all I want to do is keep her safe?
But I have reached an age when my I do listen to my husband. He rarely tells me not to or to put on a particular kind of dress. Yet I will occasionally get an opinion of how its not appropriate to wear a certain kind of dress in the presence of certain elders. I seem to not mind taking those opinions. Probably with age modesty just naturally grow on. You learn to be aware of who is around you, to be soft when needed and loud when its OK. I may still forget it once in a while. But with a little girl in the house ... guess I got to get my act together

AAAAh the woes of  a mother of a girl child.

2 comments:

  1. haha i wonder what the woes of the father of a girl child must be like. thats traditionally considered the most stressful job in the world. among my girl friends, i've been told that the mother usually stands up for the wardrobe choices of the girl against stiff resistance from a largely helpless father, who knows that there is no such thing as good or bad in boys when it comes to the allure of a girl. they're all the same, whether they avert their eyes or not! also, let hope isaac doesnt become large and muscled one day and start scaring away innocent lads from a cute ziva!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daaa thats a long comment! Dont you have any receptions preparations to run about for!

      Delete